Below are just a few Houses of Worship in downtown Chicago. For more, consult the Chicago Visitors site http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en.html .
Chicago Loop Synagogue
16 S. Clark St. | 312.346.7370 (Loop)
The Chicago Loop Synagogue was founded in 1929 to serve the religious needs of those whose professional or business activities brought them to Chicago’s downtown business district. The synagogue is also an architectural marvel
2249 S. Wentworth Ave. | 312.881.0177 (Chinatown)
The Enlightenment Temple is a worship space of the International Buddhism Friendship Association.
77 W. Washington St. (Loop) | 312.236.4548 (Loop)
In 1922 the congregation acted on a daring dream to build a Methodist temple in the heart of the city. The Temple became the tallest building in Chicago when it was dedicated in 1924, with its spire reaching 568 feet above the street level. Today most of the first four floors and the basement are dedicated to church work. (Clarence Darrow occupied an office on the 6th floor in the southwest corner). The 22nd floor holds a Methodist history display. The senior pastor and family live in an apartment on floors 23, 24, and 25. At the pinnacle of the building is the small, octagonal Sky Chapel.
Monday through Saturday at 2pm the Chicago Temple offers free tours of the “Chicago Chapel in the Sky”. Tours are also available on Sundays after each worship service.
Fourth Presbyterian Church
126 E. Chestnut St. | 312.787.4570 (Magnificent Mile)
Constructed between 1912 and 1914 under the supervision of architect Ralph Adams Cram, the church combines the best of English and French Gothic styles.
735 N. State St. | 312.787.8040 | (Magnificient Mile)
Holy Name Cathedral on North State Street is both a Roman Catholic parish and the seat of the Archdiocese of Chicago. After the fire of 1871 destroyed the former Holy Name Church, Bishop Thomas Foley resolved to build a spectacular replacement. The church building is 233 feet long, 126 feet wide and can seat 1,520 people. The ceiling is 70 feet high; the cathedral spire is 210 feet tall.
700 W. Adams St. | 312.648.1021 | (West Loop)
Built in the 1850s, Old St. Patrick’s Church is the oldest public building in Chicago and one of few buildings that survived the Chicago fire. Attend services or take a tour at this historical location.
St. James Cathedral
65 East Huron St. | 312.787.7360 (Magnificient Mile)
In 1857 Edward Burling designed the original building and had it built using the famed Joliet limestone. Shortly after it was remodeled and rededicated in 1871, the church burned to the ground in the Great Chicago Fire; in this neighborhood, only St James’ bell tower and the nearby Water Tower and Pump House survived the fire. The existing bell tower and Civil War Memorial were original to the 1857 structure. The architectural team of Clarke and Faulkner were hired to rebuild the church which stands to today. Its finely painted windows depict biblical themes and are rich with symbols of our faith tradition. The original stenciling, considered “the best example of Victorian stencil work in the world”, was the work of E.J. Neville Stent, a New York artist which was completed in 1889 and restored in 1985.
St. Michael in Old Town
1633 N. Cleveland Ave. | 312.642.2498 | (Old Town)
St. Michael was first completed and dedicated in 1869 to serve a mostly German parish. Though the 1871 Great Chicago Fire devastated the area, the church walls survived, as did the painting of the Mother of Perpetual Help.